Lipotropic injections contain vitamins and nutrients that support fat loss when paired with healthy lifestyle changes. Mounjaro is an FDA-approved, dual-targeted weight loss injection that decreases food intake, regulates energy expenditure, and significantly impacts metabolic dysregulation.
What is Mounjaro?
After eating, your body releases two incretin hormones: glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP) and glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1). These hormones help regulate pancreatic insulin release to keep blood sugar levels under control, and GLP-1 slows digestion so you feel fuller longer.
But those who have overweight or obese can become insulin resistant, which can lead to the following:
- Type 2 diabetes
- Weight gain
- Elevated blood sugar levels
Mounjaro (tirzepatide) is a once-weekly injectable medication that helps lower blood glucose levels and can be prescribed off-label for weight loss. The dual-targeted treatment features a GIP receptor agonist and a GLP-1 receptor agonist. Combining receptor agonists can significantly impact metabolic dysregulation more than other lipotropic injections.
How does Mounjaro work?
Mounjaro has also shown impressive results during trials with those with obesity and overweight. Findings have shown that:
- Participants dropped 5% to 22.5% of their total body weight, while people taking many existing FDA-approved medications for obesity lost between 5% to 15% of their total body weight
- Participants with obesity or a body mass index of 27 or greater, who had at least one other comorbidity (but not diabetes), had a weight reduction of up to 52 pounds during the 72-week trial
- Study participants on a 5-mg dose for weight loss experienced an average weight loss of 35 pounds or 16% of their body weight
- Those on a 10 mg dose lost an average of 49 pounds or 21.4% of their body weight
- On the highest dose—15 mg—participants lost an average of 52 pounds or 22.5% of their body weight
The Mounjaro pen automatically injects the medication into your body through a hidden needle. When you press the button on the Mounjaro pen, the needle enters your skin and retracts when the injection is complete.
You can inject the medication once weekly into your:
- Upper arm
- Upper thigh
- Abdominal area
What are the benefits of Mounjaro for weight loss?
Mounjaro offers patients the following benefits:
- Mounjaro helps with weight loss by decreasing food intake and slowing down how fast food travels through your digestive tract
- You’ll feel fuller for a more extended period and reduce how much food you eat
- GIP increases your energy expenditure, which results in greater positive effects on blood glucose and body weight
- Losing weight can improve how you respond to the insulin your body releases from your pancreas, which helps lower your blood sugar
Am I a good candidate for Mounjaro?
Mounjaro may be prescribed off-label for weight loss in adults with or without type 2 diabetes. Other candidacy requirements include the following:
- Obesity, which is a BMI of 30 or greater
- Overweight (BMI of 27 or greater) with at least one health condition related to weight, such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure, or sleep apnea
Mounjaro side effects
The most common Mounjaro side effects are:
- Decreased appetite
- Stomach pain
- Injection site pain
Why choose Dr. Adam Hamawy?
In addition to his reputation as a talented, board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Adam Hamawy offers patients non-invasive solutions, such as Mounjaro, to help shed excess pounds.
When you visit our office, you will receive exceptional care and personally customized weight loss solutions to achieve the results you envision for yourself. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and learn more about Mounjaro.